Skip to content
           

RAF Odiham

Image Courtesy of Richard Hall

The first association of land that is now part of RAF Odiham with military aviation came in 1924 when land was purchased for a landing ground for use in cooperation exercises with the Army. It was selected because, as well as being suitable for a landing ground, it was geographically well located for its  proximity to the numerous army sites in Hampshire and Wiltshire.
In the 1920s and early 1930s the site was used by 4 and 13 Squadrons, permanently based at Farnborough.
These squadrons were equipped successively with the Bristol F2b, Armstrong Whitworth, Atlas and Hawker Audax,

A Bristol F2B

Under the Expansion Scheme, Odiham was an obvious early choice for the building of a new permanent airfield. It was planned that the new airfield would house 3 Army Co-Operation squadrons.

Work started in 1934  and was finished by the end of 1936. The station was allocated to 50(AC) Wg, 22 Gp and welcomed its first aircraft in February 1937. The first 2 squadrons were 4 and 13 Squadron with their Audaxe aircraft,  In Fact they were replaced with Hectors in May.

An Audax aircraft

The official opening ceremony took place in October and bizarrely it was conducted by Erhard Milch, the German Secretary of State for Air.
In April 1938 the station was brought up to full strength with the arrival of 53 Squadron, equipped with Hectors.

Hector aircraft

The early part of 1939 was a period of change with the arrival of more modern equipment in the form of  Blenheim IVs for 53 Squadron and Lysander’s for 4 and 13 Squadrons.

A Blenheim aircraft

Perhaps the most significant change was the  laying of concrete runways.
A mobilisation exercise had been planned for August 1939 but by the end of the month all three squadrons  were ready to deploy to join the BEF, and by the end of September all three were in France.
In October 613 Squadron arrived with its Hinds, followed by the Hectors of 614 Squadron. Soon after arrival, 614  Squadron B Flight, equipped with Lysander IIs, became 225 Squadron. All three squadrons were kept busy with Army  Co-operation exercises throughout the winter of the Phoney War
In April 1940 613 Squadron received a flight  of Lysander IIs. Following the German offensive of May 1940, both 613 Squadron and 225 Squadron despatched their Lysanders to France to supplement artillery spotting capabilities.
.  During this period, 613 Squadrons
Hectors were used for re-supply drops to the forces defending Calais.

As part of the re-organisation of forces following the withdrawal from France, 614 Squadron left for Grangemouth on 8th June, followed by 225 Squadron to Old Sarum on 9th, and 613 Squadron to Netherthorpe on the 30th June

59 Squadron Blenheim IVs arrived from France, although their stay was to be very brief
because they left for Thorney Island in July. A longer-term resident was 110(RCAF) Squadron which with its Lysanders arrived from Old Sarum.

Following the fall of France, a significant number of French and Belgian airmen arrived in the UK. No 1  Fighter Training Squadron, Free French Air Force was formed at Odiham, to which they were assigned. It  was equipped with an assortment of French types that had been rescued. Although the initial plan to establish a separate operational FFAF squadron in the UK was not pursued, in November a Franco-Belgian  FTS was formed equipped with Magisters and a variety of older operational types.

At the beginning of December the station was transferred to 70 Gp Army Co-Operation Command.
In March 1941, 110(RCAF) Sqn was renumbered 400 Squadron and soon after its Lysander IIIs were replaced by Tomahawk I.IIA and IIB.

By mid-1941 the number of French and Belgians reaching the UK had reduced to the point that a separate  training unit wasn’t required and the Franco-Belgian FTS was disbanded.
In its place 13 Squadron arrived

During this period the station experienced occasional attention from the Luftwaffe, although none suggested that it was being specifically targeted. Similarly, the opportunities for offensive action by the based squadrons were limited: occasional recce missions by 400 Squadron and 13 Squadron being assigned to the early 1000-bomber raids being exceptions.

During 1941 through to 1942 the station was further enlarged and the runways were renewed.
In mid-1942 there was a significant movement of units connected to Op Jubilee, (the Dieppe Raid) with resident units deploying to forward locations and being back-filled temporarily by the newly formed 171 Squadron arriving from Gatwick with its Tomahawks. 614 Squadron also arrived from Macmerry, re-equipping with Blenheim Vs.

On the 19th August 400 Squadron, operating from Gatwick, flew recce missions behind Dieppe in its newly acquired Mustangs.

In mid-1942 there was a significant movement of units connected to Op Jubilee, (the Dieppe Raid) with resident units deploying to forward locations and being back-filled temporarily by the newly formed 171  Squadron arriving from Gatwick with its Tomahawks. 614 Sqn also arrived from Macmerry, re- equipped with Blenheim Vs.

On November 13 Squadron and 614 Squadron with their Blenheim’s departed to North Africa to participate, but within 3 weeks 239 Squadron had left for Hurn and, after nearly two and a half years at Odiham,400 Squadron left for  Dunsfold.

239 Squadron and 400 Squadron were replaced by 174 and 175 Squadrons with Hurricane IIbs. Operations from Odiham were directed towards coastal targets and channel shipping. On 1st March 1943 174 Squadron moved on to Chilbolton and on 19th March 175 Squadron left for Stoney Cross. To replace the Hurricanes, of 268 Squadron

On 31st May and 170 Squadron, on 26th June, arrived with their Mustangs Is.

A pair of Mustangs.

On 1st June the station was  transferred to Fighter Command and on 10th July, No 123 Airfield HQ took command of the 3 resident squadrons.

Throughout the summer and autumn, the main operational task was tactical reconnaissance mainly of French coastal regions. During this period the resident squadrons rotated on a regular basis with 2, 4, 168, 170 and 268 Squadrons all spending time at Odiham.

On 15th November Fighter Command was separated into the Air Defence of Great Britain (ADGB) and the Second Tactical Air Force   (2TAF). The then resident squadrons, 2 and 4, became part of 2TAF and the next day departed to North  Weald.

With no resident squadrons, the station welcomed 511 Forward Repair Unit which received its first aircraft for repair in early December. The following 6 months saw the unit expand rapidly with most of its  aircraft for repair in early December. The following 6 months saw the unit expand rapidly with most of its  work preparing aircraft for the forthcoming invasion of Europe. The volume of work meant that 2 additional T2 Hangars had to be erected to accommodate it.

During the first half of 1944 the airfield was used for a number of short-term tasks. 181 and 247 Squadrons spent the first 2 weeks of the new year at Odiham conducting attacks on V1 sites in Northern France with  their Typhoon 1bs.

A Typhoon

In March and April 184 Squadron used Odiham to work up to operational effectiveness
having exchanged its Spitfires for Typhoon Ibs.

In mid-February a familiar unit took up residence when 400 Sqn returned, this time equipped with the Spitfire PRXI and Mosquito PRXVI.

At the end of the following month, the remainder of No 128 Airfield, 168, 414 and 430 Sqns, all equipped with Mustang Is, arrived to join them. The Wings 168, 414 and 430 Squadrons, all equipped with Mustang Is, arrived to join them. The Wing saw  intensive  operations as the rate of tactical strike operations increased in preparation for the invasion.

On D-Day itself each of the squadrons undertook intensive operations which continued through the following weeks.
On 29th June 168 and 430 Squadrons departed for France and on 1st July 400 Squadrons Spitfires started their forward deployment. Finally, on 15th August, 414 and 400 Squadrons Mosquitoes followed.
As 128 Wing left Odiham it was replaced by 130 Wing which arrived on 27th June.

2 Squadrons Mustang IIs left for France on 29th July, 268 Squadron with Mustang Ias and some Typhoon FRibs it acquired while at Odiham left on 10th August. Finally, the Spitfire PRXIs of 4 Squadron left on 16th August. This departure marked the start of a marked reduction in the station’s operational activity as the focus of the tactical air war moved eastward in Europe.

In September 1516 Beam Approach Training Flight arrived, equipped with Oxfords.
On 24th September 96 Squadron with its Mosquito NFXIIIs arrived with the task of intercepting V1s. However, few V1s were launched into its operational area and it was disbanded on 12th December.
In November 511 FRU closed. Although the Mosquito NFXIIIs of 264 and 604 Squadrons spent most of December at Odiham, and conducted some operations over Belgium and Holland, they left for France at the start of the year. So, as the New Year started the only resident aircraft were the Oxfords

Three quiet months came to an end when, in April, repatriation flights for ex-POWs began. Most of these flights were flown by Dakotas. Following the transfer of the station to Transport Command.
In June the station acquired its own Dakotas with the arrival of 233 Squadron the following day. In August they  were joined  by a detachment from 437 (RCAF) Squadron. The based aircraft flew scheduled services delivering supplies to Europe and returning loaded with personnel.

A dakota

At the end of August 233 Squadron deployed to the Far East and were replaced by 271 Squadron, which departed on 5th October to Broadwell. On 21st October  the station was transferred to the RCAF and by mid-November the major part of 437 Sqn was in residence. They continued to operate their schedules until April 1946 when they were joined by 436 Sqn. Routine operations were to continue until mid-June when both squadrons disbanded. The station was handed back to the RAF on 28th June and assigned to 11 Group Fighter Command.
Immediately the Vampire F1s of 247 Squadron and the Tempest IIs of 54 Squadron arrived.

Vampire Aircraft

On 23rd July the Spitfire IXbs of 130 Squadron arrived to complete the Wing. This strange assortment of types wasn’t to last long because in October both 54 and 130 Squadrons converted to the Vampire F1.

 On 31st January 1947 130 Squadron was renumbered 72 Squadron. Between June and August 1948 the squadrons re-equipped with the Vampire F3 and then in October and November 1949 with the Vampire FB5.

In July 1948 54 Squadron took their Vampire F3s to Canada and the USA on a goodwill tour which on the way out required the first jet fighter crossing of the Atlantic.

On 22nd March 1950 72 Squadron departed to North Weald, but in January 1951, 421 Squadron RCAF with  loaned Vampires arrived to conduct jet familiarisation training. Then in April 1952 both 54 and 247  Squadrons converted to the Meteor F8.

Immediately the Vampire F1s of 247 Squadron and the Tempest IIs of 54 Squadron arrived.

On 23rd July the Spitfire  IXbs of 130 Squadron arrived to complete the Wing. This strange assortment of types wasn’t to last  long  because in October both 54 Squadron and 130 Squadron converted to the Vampire F1.

In the Spring of 1954 normal operations were interrupted by the need to prepare for a massive event, the Royal Review of the RAF by the new Queen, scheduled for 15th July. The size of the event was almost unimaginable by current standards, with 1200 personnel on parade, a static display of over 300 aircraft and a flypast of nearly 650 aircraft.

In August 1954 the day fighter Meteors were joined by NF12s and F14s of 46 Squadron
After 3 years with the Meteors the squadrons again re-equipped with 54 Squadron receiving Hunter F1s in February 1955, which were replaced by F4s in September and by the definitive F6 in January 1957, 247  Squadron converted directly to the F4 in May 1955 and acquired F6s in January 1957.

 However as part of the overall reduction in fighter squadrons it disbanded at the end of that year. 46 Squadron in turn re- equipped, becoming the first unit to operate the Javelin FAW 1 in February 1956. These were  replaced by FAW2s in August 1957 which were supplemented by FAW6s during 1958. It was with this line-up of 54 Squadron with Hunter F6s and 46 Squadron with Javelin FAW2 was stood down as a Fighter Command station.on 17th July 1959.

Meteor Aircraft

However as part of the overall reduction in fighter squadrons it disbanded at the end of that year. 46 Squadron in turn re- equipped, becoming the first unit to operate the Javelin FAW 1 in February 1956. These were  replaced by FAW2s in August 1957 which were supplemented by FAW6s during 1958. It was with this line-up of 54 Squadron with Hunter F6s and 46 Squadron with Javelin FAW2 was stood down as a Fighter Command station.on 17th July 1959.

The station’s period in Care and Maintenance was only brief, re-opening on 15th February under Transport Command. The station was to accommodate HQ 38 Gp and become the main UK operating base for transport helicopters. The build-up was fairly slow but in May the HQ arrived and 225 Sqn re- located from Andover with its Sycamore HR14s and Whirlwind HAR2s. At the end of the month they were joined by 230 Squadron, equipped not with helicopters but the STOL Pioneer CC1 and Twin Pioneer HC1.

Above images Crown Copyright unless otherwise stated

On 1st July 1960 a Trials Unit was set up to introduce the new Belvedere HC1 twin-rotor helicopter to service. On 1st September 1961 66 Squadron stood-up as the first Belvedere squadron. It remained at Odiham until May 1962 when it was deployed to the Far East.

Belvedere Helicopters

Images courtesy of Adrian M Balch

 The second Belvedere squadron was to be 72 Squadron which reformed on 15th November 1961. The third and last squadron to form was 26 Squadron on 1st June 1962 destined for deployment to Aden to where it departed after 9 months of work-up. 72 Squadron stayed at Odiham but its use of the Belvedere was to be short as it transitioned to the Wessex HC2 in August 1964. Although its time with the Belvedere was short it received widespread publicity, in particularly for lifting in to place the spire and cross on the new Coventry Cathedral.
225 Sqn replaced its piston-engined helicopters by the Whirlwind HAR10 in November 1961  and 230 Squadron also transitioned to the Whirlwind HAR10 in July 1962. 230 Squadron’s fixed wing aircraft were transferred to the Station Flight at the end of 1962 and in preparation for the squadron’s departure to Gutersloh in mid-January. After 2 years in Germany, the squadron returned to Odiham but only until early March when they departed to Labuan. With the end of Confrontation, 230 Squadron returned to Odiham in November 1966 where they stayed until March 1969 when they departed to Wittering; their departure marking the end of Odiham’s relationship with the Whirlwind. 72 Squadron wasn’t the first Wessex HC2 unit to form. The Wessex Intensive Flying Unit was formed on 1st July 1963. By January 1964 enough crews had been trained for 18 Squadron to reform. In August 1964 the Wessex training capability was combined with those for the Belvedere and the Twin Pioneer to  form the Short Range Conversion Unit. With the cessation of training requirements for the Twin Pioneer and  Belvedere, in mid 1967 the unit was renamed the Helicopter Operational Conversion Flight.In January 1971 Puma training was added to the unit’s task. In May it became the Air Training Squadron and on1st January 1972 it adopted the now familiar 240 OCU title.

The first operational Puma squadron was to be 33 Sqn which reformed on 14th June 1971. This was followed by 230 Squadron on 1st January 1972. The two squadrons were to remain based at Odiham together until 230 Squadron deployed to Gutersloh in October 1980,

 Alongside the Puma squadrons 72 Squadron had been at Odiham throughout the 1970s. It was to remain at  Odiham until the Spring of 1981 when it moved to Benson.

  The next major stage in the station’s history was heralded by the arrival of the Chinook.

The procurement of the Chinook had been a protracted affair. It was originally proposed in the  mid-60s to replace the Belvedere HC1 and undertake some tasks of the cancelled HS681 vertical take-off transport. An order placed in early 1967 was cancelled later the same year. Although the RAF maintained an active  interest in acquiring the Chinook, it would be another decade before an order for 30 examples based on the CH-47C, was placed. The first of these arrived at Odiham in December 1980.

 In advance of this arrival 240 OCU prepared to train Chinook crews and a Chinook Servicing School was  established.  On 4th April 1981 18 Squadron stood up as the first operational Chinook squadron. Almost exactly a year  later on 4th April1981 18 Squadron stood up as the first operational Chinook squadron. Almost exactly a year later Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. As the task force was dispatched, the squadron’s aircraft were  heavily tasked to deliver supplies and personnel to the ships even after they had sailed. Sailing with the task force were 4 of the squadron’s aircraft. Unfortunately, they were loaded on the Atlantic Conveyor. Three of the Chinooks went down with the ship but fortunately one, Bravo November, was on an air test at the time of the attack and it was able to divert to HMS Hermes. Its exploits during the war made a crucial contribution to operations, confirmed the value of the Chinook and made it renowned well beyond UK military circles. Forty years later they, together with its involvement in every subsequent major conflict, would also earn it an honourable retirement with the RAF Museum.

In September 1982 7 Squadron became the second operational Chinook squadron. In August 1983 18 Squadron moved to Gutersloh leaving Odiham with one operational Chinook squadron, one operational Puma squadron and a joint OCU.

In 1993 27 Squadron reformed at Odiham as the shadow squadron for 240 OCU. In 1998 it became the third operational Chinook squadron while retaining the Chinook training commitment.

In June 1997 33 Squadron had moved to Benson and in June 1998 the OCU Pumas were transferred to Benson and 33 Squadron took on the training role. For a short while the station was to be a solely Chinook base

. In August 1997, as part of the RAF withdrawal from Germany, 18 Squadron returned from Laarbruch where it had been based since Gutersloh closed.

In October 1999 the station was transferred to the newly established Joint Helicopter Command. Under this new management, 657 Sqn AAC with its Lynx arrived in June 2000 and in April 2001 the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing was established with an HQ, 7 Squadron and 657 Squadron all based at Odiham.

Throughout the 1990s and the first 2 decades of the 21st century the UK was almost continually involved in deployed operations and the Odiham squadrons played a major part in all of them; including, Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo,  and Sierra Leone.

In 2026 RAF Odiham is part of Joint Aviation Command and the home of three operational Chinook Squadrons.

With thanks to the RAF Odiham media for help in compiling this page

Back To Top